Thursday, December 4, 2008

Looking for Atlantis


Quilt No. 56
October 2007
Looking for Atlantis was a “challenge” quilt. One weekend I had taken my usual vast amount of quilting tools and assorted fabrics to the cottage to work on a specific quilt. I was so focused on trying to remember everything I might need that I actually forgot to bring the quilt that was currently in progress. Faced with a weekend of not quilting at all, I challenged myself to use the limited fabrics from the 3 or 4 projects that were in my bag, and to see what I could come up with. The waves, fish and mer-people were “fussy cut” from various parts of one piece of fabric. The central rock in the background was from a piece I had dyed earlier in the summer by spreading light-sensitive dye on the fabric, scattering sand over it, and leaving it to dry. As the subject of this quilt emerged, I knew that I would use it as a gift for my daughter who spent much of her childhood reading about Atlantis. She is still convinced that if we look hard enough, we can probably find it. I think it is quite likely that she is right.

1 comment:

  1. Who says Atlantis does not exist? This make you want to believe it does.

    ReplyDelete